Pickleball: What is it and why should you play it?
Looking for a fun way to exercise and enjoy the outdoors? It may be time to try your hand at Pickleball.
It might sound like some outlandish game that requires unique skills and equipment, but Pickleball has been around for more than 50 years and it’s a sport that can be played by nearly any age group.
What is Pickleball?
This fun sport combines Ping-Pong, tennis and badminton. It’s played with two to four people, on a court a bit smaller than a standard tennis court. Players wield rectangular paddles and hit a modified wiffle ball over a net just a couple of inches lower than the one used in tennis.
In Pickleball, players are “Picklers,” and they “Pickle.” When a team loses, they’re “Pickled.”
Whether played in singles or doubles, the ball is served underhand and diagonally, and must bounce before it’s returned. Played to 11, the winning team must be ahead by two points.
Why should you play Pickleball?
- If the name alone doesn’t get your attention, then there are several other reasons to make Pickleball a part of your weekly routine.
- Improve your social life. New to a community or neighborhood? Look for a Pickleball game to join. The Pickleball community is a welcoming one, and they love to introduce newbies to the game.
- Pickleball is not a challenging game to learn. Experience playing tennis, squash or racquetball will undoubtedly help you pick up the game quicker, but even a novice to paddle-based games will soon be actively involved in repeated rallies.
- No age requirement. Anyone can learn and play Pickleball. Because there isn’t any special equipment — other than the paddle and balls — nothing is stopping you from showing up at the court and trying your hand at the game.
- Keeping score is easy. No complicated scoring of 15, 30, love, etc. to remember. Play to 11 points and win with a lead of two points.
- Pickleball is an excellent form of exercise. It can boost your cardio health, lower your blood pressure, reduce your stress level, decrease depression, and improve coordination and brain function. Plus, it breaks up the monotony of going to the gym.
- Love competition? Pickleball can be the right choice. There are competitive leagues all across the country and each April there is the U.S. Open Pickleball Championship, which has teams from most of the states as well as more than a dozen countries.
Pickleball is an enjoyable activity that’s been keeping people of all ages active since the 1960s. It provides players with a great sport and a fun way to connect with others — a win-win for all concerned.
So, the next time you’re looking for a new activity, look around for some Pickleball players. Chances are, some Picklers near you would love to introduce you to the game!